This article has been brought to you with - Your essential weekly read.

All our partners - Working together for safer roads

“I want to buy a Spanish registered car from a dealer in England. How do I ensure that I have all the correct papers, and can I get insurance and ITV before I drive it it back to Spain?”

It is important to do proper research before buying a used car, like running a Vehicle History Report to discover any unknown issues.

You can get the Vehicle Report from:

1.From the DGT website, (click in Informe del Vehiculo and follow the instructions).


2. Directly from the Traffic Offices in Alicante.

3. There are several web pages where you can get the Vehicle Report quickly.

Regarding to the ITV / Insurance:

– If the ITV has expired you have 2 options: tow your car on a trailer or take it to a MOT Center and carry an extra MOT Test. If you are stopped by the Spanish police, they want to check if your car is roadworthy so this is the best option to prove it, doing it in an official center – MOT Station.

– You can insure your car in the UK, there are many car insurance companies who work in Spain and UK, it does not matter if you have a Spanish registration plate. If you are going to live in Spain, do it online with a Spanish insurance company.

  • ITV Questions Answered

    Two of the most common questions about the ITV test are when it´s needed and where it can …
  • I Worry About Losing My Documents

    Because of the mandatory need to carry certain documents with the vehicle, a common concer…
  • Brake Check!

    It is a really good idea to check your brakes periodically, at low speed on a road which i…
Load More Related Articles
Load More In F.A.Q.