Listen to this article

An emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time to travel.
You can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes known as an ‘emergency passport’) if you’re a British national outside the UK and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or has expired.

You should first try to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or is damaged. Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement.

What an emergency travel document does

An emergency travel document allows you to leave the country you’re in and travel to your destination via a maximum of 5 countries.

The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from.

An emergency travel document doesn’t guarantee entry to every country. You may also need a visa. Check with the embassy or consulate of the country or countries you’re intending to travel to or through.

How to apply

You need to apply in person. Contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate to check if you need to make an appointment.

You must bring with you:

a completed emergency travel document application form
a recent photograph of yourself
proof of your travel plans – eg, booking confirmations (or detailed written travel plans if you can’t book ahead)
a police report if your passport has been stolen
You will have to pay a fee in local currency, equivalent to £95.

Getting your emergency travel document

The embassy or consulate staff will check that you’re eligible for an emergency travel document. If you’re not, they will tell you why.

You may get the document on the day you apply if your circumstances are straightforward. It can take longer if your circumstances are more complex. You may need to change your travel plans.

Using your emergency travel document

The emergency travel document will only be valid for the journey that you specified when you applied and for a specific period of time. This will be shown on the document.

Your existing British passport will be cancelled in most cases.

Immigration authorities may keep your emergency travel document when you arrive at your destination.

If you are travelling within the next 48 hours, please call 902 109 356 or +34 917 146 300 to arrange an ETD.

If you are travelling in more than 2 days’ time, you can make an appointment at your nearest British Consulate:!/british-consulate-alicante/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker

British Consulate Alicante:


Load More Related Articles
Load More In F.A.Q.
Comments are closed.