Although much of the situation still remains unclear, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency of the British government has issued a stark warning for drivers to get ready now for any impending changes.

For example, the information states that if you are a commercial driver operating in the EU, you need to prepare for Brexit by making sure you have the right documents.

To prepare for deal and no deal scenarios, you need to:

  • register trailers for international commercial use weighing over 750kg
  • check if you need International Driving Permits and how many you may need
  • contact your vehicle insurance provider to get a motor insurance green card
  • display a GB sticker on your vehicle
  • register for Brexit updates

Trailer registration

From 28 March 2019, all commercial trailers over 750kg must be registered to travel from the UK to the EU.

Visit the trailer registration page on GOV.UK for more information


International Driving Permits

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in EU and the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein).

After Brexit, in the event of no deal, you will need a 1949 permit to drive in Spain, Iceland, Malta and Cyprus on holiday.

You can get IDPs from the Post Office.

Read the International Driving Permit guidance for more information about whether you require a permit and which types of permit you need.


Motor insurance green cards

Green cards are an international certificate of motor insurance. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, commercial drivers may need a green card as proof of third party motor insurance

You should contact your insurer for more information and to get a card.

Read more about vehicle insurance after Brexit


GB stickers

From 29 March, if the UK leaves the EU with no deal, you may need to display a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate (a plate with a European flag and a GB label).

Read more about GB stickers


ECMT permits

The Government remains confident that hauliers won’t need ECMT permits to drive in the EU after Brexit, but are still progressing contingency plans to prepare for all scenarios.

As part of these contingency plans, we have secured more ECMT permits. We’ll let you know how we’re allocating these shortly.

Read our ECMT permit guidance


Want to know more?

The UK Government’s Brexit website has information and updates on everything you should do to prepare for Brexit.


You can also register for alerts and further information about Brexit.


This article has been brought to you with - Your essential weekly read.

All our partners - Working together for safer roads

Load More Related Articles
Load More In News